Monday, February 23, 2015

Chapter 16: Sweet 16

Last Thursday, February 19th, was was my 16th birthday, a birthday that I have been looking forward to since I was a little kid and realized that I was when I could drive a car by myself. It also kicked off one of the best weeks of my exchange so far. 

Thursday: My host family gifted me a beautiful leather purse and my dear friend, Giulia, gave me a matching wallet. Giulia also surprised me at school with donuts, double chocolate muffins, and miniature 3 layer chocolate cake with a candle.  



Friday: My class 3AL, along with my English teachers, threw me another little surprise party with a big chocolate, cream, and fruit cake.
3AL


Saturday: I went out with Giulia and we ate Nutella crepes and a Sicilian treat called "crispelle", which are sort of like churros but 100x better and made with rice instead of wheat or whatever. After these few hours with G Alessia and I were supposed to go to another friend's house for a sleepover but Alessia called and said that there was a problem with the car so the sleepover was off. Giulia offered to take me home on the way to a dinner party that she and her family were heading to but as soon as we entered the house Alessia and her class jumped out of the dark yelling surprise. 
Alessia and me 30 seconds after I nearly had a heart attack
from 20 teenagers jumping out of the dark screaming
Joy, me, and Giulia at the surprise party


Then Sunday evening, my best friends from my class, Simona, Alberto, Sara, and Erika took me out to dinner for pizza. It was a great evening spent laughing, eating, and teasing. They even made a video of all our photos put to music and clips of them wishing me happy birthday, singing, and dancing. We ended the night outside singing random little snippets of all the songs that came to mind. 

I love these kids a ridiculous amount and we're already making plans for them to visit me in AZ. 




Also thank you to ALL of the people that wished me happy birthday! I loved all of the kooky voice messages, the heartfelt letters, and the adorable posts. 

BACI xx

No comments:

Post a Comment