Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Chapter 14: Crepes, Nicknames, and the Terrible Weather

First of all, have you ever had a crepe? If the answer is no, you should probably stop reading this and go get one. If the answer is yes, then have you ever had a Nutella crepe made by two 16 or 17 year old boys? I'm guessing that you haven't, but if you have then you are one lucky duck! Anyway, a couple weeks ago, I got to eat Nutella crepes made by two of my friends, Mario and Salvo, and they were heavenly. Apparently, unbeknownst to me, crepes are incredibly easy to make, so the two guys decided to whip some up to silence the whining mouths of the rest of the group. 

Anyway, Mario and Salvo II (because there's two other Salvos') went to work on the crepe batter. By the time Ale (pronounced Al-eh) and I arrived, the batter wasn't looking too good, resembling a chunky mess, and I thought that they were just messing around with random ingredients they had found in the kitchen. But no! Within like, 7 minutes Salvo was flipping crepes and Mario was generously spreading Nutella all over them and folding them into triangles. Salvo was like an artist, flipping each crepe twice and then flinging it over to Mario to lather with Nutella; again and again til they'd made roughly 25. And not a single one went to waste.


A few years ago, like maybe 5, my darling cousin Maddy Mae started calling my Regibear. I don't really remember why, but it's stuck ever since. But I thought that I had left it behind in Arizona, and I didn't think anyone would pick up on it. I was wrong. A month or so ago, when my group of friends was just sitting around freezing our butts off outside, one of them swept me up in a bear hug. As we were hugging he said "Haha, Regan you're like a teddybear." And I replied, "Mhmm, so I have been told. It's an old nickname." "Aspetta (wait), like a Regibear? Regan and teddybear, Regibear." This made me burst out laughing because, the likelihood of this nickname traveling 6,000 miles with me I had assumed was 0%. It was nice to hear it again though, because until then everyone had been only using my name, which is weird for me considering all of my close friends and family in AZ use my nicknames. 

Don't ask me why I assumed this, but I though that living on an island would mean endless perfect weather.. Again, I have no idea what I was thinking. In the summer, living on an island is like the coolest thing ever and the weather is always warm and amazing and humid, but geeeesh in the winter it's completely the opposite. It is really, really freaking cold, really dark, and really, really damp and foggy. On the upside though, this weather makes a good excuse to stay in bed for extended periods of time, drink lots of tea, and binge on sweets.



***

I will be updating you all with a Christmas/New Years/Traditions post as soon as I can. Also I will try to include more pictures soon, although because I am using a non Windows minicomputer, this is proving to be a bit difficult. Please be patient! 

No comments:

Post a Comment